Friday, September 28, 2007

The Cry of the Poor



About two weeks ago, I listened to a priest discussing the injustice of the American immigration system. I have to admit that I listened with some skepticism. But, his remarks at the end gave me pause:

"We have to remember that many of these immigrants seek the
intercession of Our Lady of Guadalupe. You don't want to be
on the wrong end of an argument with her!"

Though I wasn't convinced by the rationality of his argument, I am convinced that God does indeed hear the cry of the poor, and that I may have to re-evaluate my position on this issue if I am to find myself on the righteous side of it.

Preaching on last Sunday's gospel (Lk.16:1-13), the Holy Father said:

"It is Christ who teaches us the right use of money and worldly
riches, and that is to share them with the poor, thus obtaining
their friendship, in sight of the Kingdom of Heaven."

I run into beggars often enough to unsettle me. Up till now, I had decided that it was better not to give them money, since they may spend it on alchohol or drugs. I have also worried that any quarters I throw in their cup may be enabling their homeless lifestyle.

But, reflecting on the Holy Father's words in light of the gospel, I have decided to take a different approach. I will give whatever little I have on hand, but I'll ask the beggar to pray for me. I will use my wealth to make a friend of the poor confident that God hears their prayer. Now, I become the beggar because my need for salvation and for the intercession of the poor on my behalf is greater than their need for whatever coin I can scratch up for them.

In the Eucharist, we meet Jesus who makes himself poor so that we may receive Him. In receiving Him, we become rich. Just as surely, we meet Him in those who require our help. We have been blessed with such an abundance not to enrich ourselves, but to be instruments of God's generosity and providence in the world, and to befriend the needy, for God surely hears their cry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home